“Absence makes the heart grow fonder...”

Being away doesn’t mean leaving or running away, it’s just a way of letting someone know that the person is still there despite the busy schedule of life. Away from the limelight and shy away from the public eye. Nothing could best describe Gabby Concepcion’s eleven year absence from the glitz and glamour of showbiz. But despite the absence, it’s that absence that made everyone’s heart fonder as Gabby graced the sets of SPOON, NET 25’s cooking and celebrity talk show. And I was lucky enough to be invited on the set that day!


It wasn’t the gossips surrounding his absence, but a heart to heart talk shared over a hearty meal that was the main topic. Gabby discloses while cooking his favorite meal Mongo with Ampalaya, Fish and Shrimp that life in the States was hard: “It was hard living in the States. Life there was full of challenges, and when you get derailed you must never give up, you must have the determination that life goes on,” he quotes on a cheerier note. He also shares that he could relate to the many Filipinos who brought their bags, left home to work and earn for a living.

Did you know that in his absence, Gabby was able to take up two courses? He took up Management Information System at the Lincoln University, and took up another course which was Real Estate, and he also had to take the California Board Exam to become a licensed Real Estate Agent. “I face problems head on. You might say to yourself that you don’t want to anymore, but deep inside you still want to. You can’t just set it aside,” imparts Gabby to Janice.

Meeting your child for the first time after a long time could be very emotional for a parent. Especially for Gabby, who for the first time met KC on the phone as he heads to his car on a very cold day. He shares with a teary-eyed Janice: “The first time I talked to KC was on the phone. She was looking for me. She didn’t know that it was me then, and I didn’t know that it was her. And the first thing that I said to her on the phone was: “Is this my baby? Is this my baby?” And the temperature that time was cold, but I didn’t feel the cold, it was warm all over.” I was also dabbing a tissue myself while listening to him share this heartfelt moment with all of us at the set.


As Janice and Gabby shared good memories over a plateful of Blueberry Cheesecake that as Janice remembers, was the dessert Gabby used to bribe her with every time he was late for taping, more heartwarming stories were shared about how Gabby was close with his family and that he was thankful for an opportunity to be a guest on SPOON.

Lucky me, for I had a picture with him before he left for next engagement after the taping.

Catch more of these heartwarming stories from SPOON, your spoonful of talk. Only on NET 25 every Sunday at 6:30 pm. I watch the show and I love it!

Comments

Popular Posts