#WhenInPalawan

On the last week of December, my family and I went to south of the Philippines, and on an island a bit closer to the disputed West Philippine sea. Where else?  9° 44' 21" North, 118° 44' 7" East of the Philippines, Puerto Princesa, Palawan!

Home to one of the famous seven wonders of the world, which happens to be the Underground Subterranean River, Puerto Princesa is also home to the Iwahig Penal Colony (known as the Prison without walls) and Crocodile Park in Irawan just to name a few. There are a few things that you may not know about Palawan (which I just found out when I was there).

1) Palawan is known for the "tamilok" and "crocodile sisig". The tamilok is a kind of oyster-like dish which can be found in mangroves (bakawan in Tagalog). And "crocs" are not just animals used for bags and shoes, but they're also eaten as a special dish cooked in the Philippines served on a sizzling plate. I never got to try, but I heard it was delicious ;)

2) When going to the Underground Subterranean River National Park, you may book for a tour either personally or by a tour group. You may do so at their office inside the City Coliseum, 10-20 minutes away from the Capitol of Puerto Princesa. Here's an image of the guidelines on how to apply for a permit to go there. And going there, wake up extra early to get the island on an earlier time (mornings are usually the best to go there).

Procedure how to apply for a permit

3) When you're in the place where the river is located, NEVER bring plastic with you. For extra precaution, because the monkeys on the island will tackle you (literally).  I witnessed firsthand that when the monkeys hear plastic they will attack, thinking you have food. This little critter was sweet enough to take a pose for me after getting a snack from the trash bin.


I will continue my list of what to do #WhenInPalawan on my next post... But for now, here's a sneak preview of my Palawan Adventures with my family. Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts